Landesmuseum Zurich was built in 1898 by architect Gustav Gull. The design of the building was intended to express a unity between collections, exhibitions and architecture, and was also combined with a school of art, thereby satisfying a further important requirement of the era: having both institutions side by side, allowing the past to act as an example and an inspiration for the work of students.
Today, the Zurich National Museum is regarded as one of the outstanding 19th-century constructions of its type, and an architectural monument of national importance. It is home to exhibitions both permanent and temporary, as well as a large collection of over 7,000 objects of Swiss artistry and craftsmanship, spanning a period of over 1,000 years. The new building designed by Swiss architects Christ & Gantenbein, opened in 2016, flawlessly complements Gustav Gull’s wing of the building.