Die Neue Sammlung – The Design Museum is the oldest design museum in the world. Created in 1907 in the spirit of the Werkbund movement, it formally became a state institution in 1925 and opened its doors as a museum in 1926 with the aim of identifying, collecting and preserving new work of the highest quality. From the very beginning, it distinguished itself from other museums of applied arts or arts and crafts by consciously championing what was then cutting-edge contemporary design. To this very day, this clear agenda defines the objectives of Die Neue Sammlung – The Design Museum.
With more than 100,000 items, this is one of the largest and most important museums of applied art of the 20th and 21st centuries. With a collection covering more than 20 different thematic areas, it exhibits a broad spectrum, including product and industrial design, but also important collections of ceramics, metal, glass, furniture, textiles and jewellery.