The glorious history of Steinway & Sons dates back to 1853, when German piano builder Henry Engelhard Steinway founded his factory in New York. Together with the Hamburg branch, which was established in 1880, the two plants have been dedicated to making world-class grand and upright pianos characterised by impeccable craftsmanship. Since their foundation, Steinway & Sons Hamburg and New York have produced over 615 000 pianos based on the principle of the 'Steinway System,' which includes more than 140 original patents.
Steinway & Sons Hamburg produces seven grand piano models (each Steinway grand consists of more than 12 000 individual parts and it takes nearly one year to build) and one upright model, with an average annual output of 1 400 rigorously handcrafted instruments. Flagship stores exist in Berlin, Duesseldorf, Frankfurt, Hamburg, Munich and Stuttgart, while showrooms in Europe are located in London, Paris and Vienna.