Robert Riviere founded his bindery in Bath in 1829, and George Bayntun followed his example in 1894. In 1939, the Bayntun and Riviere binderies were incorporated into the present premises in Manvers Street. Bayntun-Riviere is now the last of the great Victorian trade binderies still in family ownership and prides itself on continuing to bind entirely by hand. The atelier holds the largest collection of hand tools and blocks in the world (over 15,000), some dating back to the 18th century and all still usable.
In the bindery, 6 highly skilled and specialised craftsmen and women bind and restore books. At Bayntun-Riviere, binding is performed in the traditional manner, using only the highest quality materials. For example, the edges of all of the bindings are gilded by hand using 23kt gold. They have a range of over 40 colours of premium quality goat and calf skins, and a vast selection of hand-marbled papers. Besides binding books for sale in the shop, they undertake work for individuals and institutions from around the world.